| Reuben Strydom | Blog

Q: We are excited, we want to get married, what now?

A: Contact Natalia, by WhatsApp, message, or email to request a quote and to set up an appointment (whether personal or virtual). If the date is still available with the Marriage Officer, you can book the date by making a deposit.

Q: What are the legal documents needed to officiate my marriage?

4 Passport photos of bride and bridegroom Copies of bride’s SA ID book/card Copies of bridegroom’s SA ID book/card Copies of two witnesses SA ID book/card Copy of legal letter by lawyer stating the type of contract (if ante nuptial) If Divorced- Copy of the Final Divorce Decree If Widowed- Copy of the Death certificate of deceased spouse.

Q: We are planning a wedding and might consider a small intimate gathering. What are the requirements?

The law pertaining to marriage solemnisations require that the bride and groom, and at least (but not limited to) two witnesses and the Marriage Officer be present.

Q: What is the difference between an ante-nuptial contract or exclusion of community of property contract?

A: An Ante nuptial Contract, also known as a Prenuptial Contract or Prenup, is a contract entered into by two people prior to their marriage. to stipulate the terms and conditions for the exclusion of community of property between them. Each spouse usually retains his or her separate property and have complete freedom to deal with that property as he or she chooses. If you choose not to enter an A.N.C then you are automatically married in community of property. The ante nuptial contract will however be administered by a lawyer (this is excluded from my fees)

Q: What are the requirements for the ante-nuptial contract?

A: If you intend to enter an ante-nuptial contract this must be concluded prior to the day of the wedding and a letter from your Lawyer must accompany other legal required documents as stated here. NB: Ante-Nuptial Contract MUST be signed at Lawyer BEFORE the date of the wedding. I can recommend lawyers who specialize in these contracts at fair prices.

Q: Do we have to get married in a structure with 4 walls and a roof?

A: It is legally required that a marriage ceremony can take place in a public office, a church or a building used for religious services or a private residence (home). Access to the building must be easy (open doors). Most venues accommodate these legal requirements. However, if there is access to the wedding (it is not in a closed and locked building), there is usually no problem with that since outdoor weddings has been become more prevailant.